Lighting Language & Design
Lighting Language & Design was founded in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, North Carolina area by lighting designer Linda Anderson in 2010 after working as a lighting designer for nearly 12 years for other firms. Linda is also an artist who paints with a concentration on how light and dark relate to one another. Lighting design and painting go hand in hand, both having similar principles such as use of diffusion and contrast to build a successful lighting visual.
Lighting has the ability to accentuate a space’s character in both positive and negative ways. Lighting Language & Design understands when lighting should be a backstage workhorse or a front-and-center presence. It’s all about sensitivity, selection, placement and good design practice. LL&D actively listens, questions, ponders and delivers interpretations of each lighting application based on use and practicality, resulting in a satisfying illuminated environment for your space’s inhabitants. LL&D is responsive, direct and creative. We are also cognizant of and ready to address today’s challenging energy concerns related to the illuminated environment. Lastly, as a 100% woman owned business, LL&D is a North Carolina HUB firm (Historically Underutilized Business).
LL&D services include full lighting design concepts for both new and existing interior and exterior spaces. We begin by analyzing your needs, then we proceed to develop the concept for each individual space. A variety of design options are available from design concept all the way through to construction administration. Other services include LEED design and daylighting analysis. LL&D can also produce lighting renderings and calculations for any space, so you can best envision both the aesthetic and performance results of our design concepts.
Some of the advantages of including a lighting designer in your design process are:
- The ability to choose from thousands of lighting products – LL&D doesn’t sell products or owe allegiance to any manufacturers. We just provide good design service and weonly choose what works best for you.
- Having a relationship with someone who can bridge the gap between the building designer and the electrical engineer. We concentrate wholly on utilizing innovation and technical expertise to help you achieve the best lighting design for your applications. Moreover, we are very happy to coordinate with other design team members so you get the very best end product.
- Including a team member with an understanding of both the aesthetic and the performance goals, balancing static lighting design criteria with the more esoteric experiences of the built environment – there is so much more to consider than foot-candles!
- Access to information that addresses today’s lighting needs such as “the aging eye”, power consumption and the latest product technology in luminaires, lamp sources and controls
As we experience the world with all of its challenges and requirements, we understand that well designed lighting is essential to positive relationships with the spaces we occupy. Please contact Lighting Language & Design so that we can help you envision a better illuminated environment.
Linda Anderson, LC, IES, LEEDAP
Linda formed Lighting Language & Design, LLC after working for several years with an engineering firm and then at another lighting consulting firm. She brings a diverse portfolio of lighting and construction experience with a range of project types. As a practicing artist and studio art major, she focuses on commercial and residential projects requiring her unique creative perspective.
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, BA Studio Art, 1996
• Lighting Designer, RMF Engineering, Durham, NC, 1999-2007
• Senior Designer, Colorlume Inc., Carrboro, NC, 2008-2010
• Principal, Lighting Language & Design, LLC Pittsboro, NC, Present
National Council for the Qualification of Lighting Professionals (NCQLP)
- LC (Lighting Certified)
Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA)
- Professional Member
- East Carolina Section Education Committee Chair 1999-2003 and
- Linda served on the Board of Managers for the East Carolina Section from 1999-2003 and currently
serves once again.
International Dark Sky Association (IDA)
- Individual Member
United States Green Building Council (USGBC)
- LEED Associated Professional
In her role as Principal and Designer at Lighting Language & Design, LLC, Linda provides design and management on all projects. Her design responsibilities include lighting concept visualization, electric and daylighting calculations, mock-ups, specification writing, design development, CAD work, economic analysis, shop drawing review as well as on-site construction management and final aiming/focusing & programming.
Linda has prior experience as a municipal building inspector and electrical inspector and has worked in building-related business for more than 25 years. She is also a visual artist and exhibits her paintings and sculptures in a variety of venues.
“The chief concern of the French Impressionists was the discovery of balance between light and dark.” – Stephen Gardiner